[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Women's Hair and Ablution

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:03:02 +0200

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=5&section=0&article=85832&d=24&m=7&y=2006

Monday, 24, July, 2006 (28, Jumada al-Thani, 1427)

      Women's Hair and Ablution
      Adil Salahi, Arab News

      Q. When a woman needs to take a bath for purification, she is often
troubled if her hair is very long, particularly if the time at her disposal is
short. This leads to some problems. Is there a way out? Is it permissible for a
woman to wear her hair short?

      Khalifa

      A. Let me first of all clarify that there is no Islamic requirement that
women must wear their hair long. In some Muslim communities, people feel that
Islam prohibits that a woman should cut her hair, or wear it short. This is
merely a cultural requirement in those communities. It is not a religious
requirement. This means that a Muslim woman could wear her hair at any length
she prefers.

      When a woman has finished her menstrual period, she is required to take a
bath or a shower. Both husband and wife are required to do the same after
sexual intercourse. This involves washing one's head and body with water.
However, the problem of a woman with long hair is not a modern one. It has been
there all the time. Hence, we have clear guidance from the Prophet (peace be
upon him) on this point.

      A woman said to the Prophet: "Messenger of God! I am a woman who ties my
hair in plaits. Should I undo my plaits for ghusl, i.e. the bath required to
remove the state of ceremonial impurity?" The Prophet answered: "No. It is
sufficient for you to use the fill of your cupped hands three times, and then
wash the rest of your body, and you will be in a state of purity." (Related by
Muslim, Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi.) This makes it clear that a woman needs to take
water in her hand three times and wet her hair, rubbing it at root. There is no
need to wash her hair fully.

      Another Hadith confirming this is reported by Aishah who heard that
Abdullah ibn Umar advised women to undo their hair when they need to do the
ghusl. She remarked: "It is amazing that Ibn Umar is asking women to undo their
hair. Why does he not ask them to shave their heads? I used to do the ghusl
with God's Messenger, using the water in one container, and I would do no more
than wash my head with the fill of my hand three times."

      (Related by Muslim and Ahmad.)

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx