[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Where are the foreign spies?

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 23:55:00 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20060128.F02&irec=3

Where are the foreign spies?

The chairman of Muhammadiyah Din Syamsuddin claims that there are thousands of
foreign intelligence personnel operating in our country that will be a threat
to our national sovereignty if action is not taken swiftly (www.detik.com, Jan.
11).

Primarily he blames the situation on our lenient immigration policies and
contrasts them with the harsh treatment received by Indonesians when applying
for foreign visas. Such a remark leaves us mere mortals begging for
substantiation.

And as long as these outcries continue unchecked by influential people, their
followers will ignore facts and keep on believing in conspiracy theories,
fiction and ghosts. It is the old story of leaders and supporters expressing
alarm at any form of foreign influx.

It shows a lack of self-confidence which is not befitting of any leader and any
nation in my view. I agree that Indonesians often face some serious prejudice
in applying for visas at foreign embassies. However most of these countries
allow more tourist entries and grant permanent resident status to more people
than our own country on a yearly basis both in absolute numbers as well as
percentage wise.

Furthermore, Din Syamsuddin would do well to listen carefully to foreigners
trying to avoid the illegal payments to enter, remain or leave our country if
he likes comparisons. But most of all, to give credence to his remarks it would
be helpful if he could explain how he identified the foreign intelligence
personnel.

ASHER TAURAN
Jakarta

Mohon Perhatian: