[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Spotlight: Global fight against slave trade 'inefficient'

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:00:45 +0200

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Friday/National/20060922082235/Article/local1_html

Spotlight: Global fight against slave trade 'inefficient'
Lydia Gomez and Fay Angela D'cruz

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia's top cop yesterday called the global fight against
human trafficking "unco-ordinated and inefficient".

He noted that at the moment there was no law to address what he described as
"modern day slavery".

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan said this in a meeting with
non-governmental organisations (NGOs) representing nearly 400 million people in
the region.

He called on them to work together with the police, acknowledging their help in
busting prostitution rings using imported "slaves" in recent years.

He met with NGOs from several countries, including Indonesia, Myanmar and
Thailand, to discuss the problems of Malaysia as a destination and transit
point for trafficked women and children.

Musa said work was going on to draw up a more complete anti-human trafficking
law.

He singled out the lack of data and knowledge on trafficking as a major
obstacle to forming a full action plan.

"Existing databases need to be updated and improved to facilitate analysis.

"The key issue here is to ensure that the victims are not seen as criminals and
they should not be re-trafficked," Musa told a gathering of more than 200
activists and government officials at Royale Bintang Hotel.

The forum was organised by Tenaganita, a women's activist group.

Musa also proposed an inter-departmental task force to address aspects such as
medical treatment, "counselling and other forms of aid for the traumatised
victims".

Musa added efforts were being focused towards witness protection and providing
shelters for victims.

Malaysia has signed a pact to combat this trans-border crime with seven
countries, which are seen as sources of victims for the illegal trade.

They include Indonesia, Thailand, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Sri Lanka and
China.

"The police condemn human trafficking and we, together with other agencies and
NGOs, are committed to combating this heinous and borderless crime," Musa said.

Prostitution is not a crime. They do not commit a crime. It is only when women
are forced into prostitution that it becomes a crime. We should have a complete
legislation to take action against those responsible. They should have care and
support so these victims can go back to society so they can have jobs to get
their own earnings instead of being re-trafficked. - Inspector-General of
Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan

Trafficking in persons is a modern-day form of slavery. We do not have the
political will to face the issue. It has been 11 years since our first
conference on trafficking when we requested the Anti-trafficking Act and we
still do not have it. For every child rescued, there are hundreds more trapped.
- Aegile Fernandez, Tenaganita

The problem of trafficking is not only among women and children. Even some men
are believed to be trafficked for sexual purposes in our country. - Kamala
Pillai, Suhakam

We know that some young girls and women from Malaysia go abroad to work as
prostitutes on their own free will. We have the Women, Family and Community
Development Ministry. Why don't we look into this negative development among
women and do something? - Datuk Kamarudin Ali, Malaysian Crime Prevention
Foundation

I think what should have been discussed further is the issue of corruption. It
is linked to the trafficking of people. The syndicates are so embedded that
they manage to get away. - Josie Fernandez, Transparency International

As far as we are concerned, they are illegal if they don't have proper papers.
We can't find out whether they are trafficked or not. - Datuk Ishak Mohamed,
Immigration Department's enforcement director

Microsoft is lending a hand to the region in combating the menace. Microsoft
will help women and children by educating them through information technology.
Microsoft will fund the countries with RM3.6 million each to enable
re-integration for victims of trafficking in a three-year period. - Lori
Forman, Microsoft regional director of community affairs

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx