[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Many Yemeni Women Fooled Into Fake Marriages by Arab Expatriates

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:21:18 +0200

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com **Refleksi: Kalau wanita Yemen bisa
ditipu, pasti apa mereka lakukan di Indonesia lebih hebat lagi.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=4&section=0&article=75984&d=8&m=9&y=2006

            Friday, 8, September, 2006 (15, Sha`ban, 1427)

                  Many Yemeni Women Fooled Into Fake Marriages by Arab
Expatriates
                  Arab News

                  SANAA, 8 September 2006 - It is said of some married couples
that their relationship is so bad that it's "marriage in name only." Now some
Yemeni women are learning that their marriages to Saudis and men from Gulf
states aren't even that.

                  Yemeni authorities are expressing concern over women who
marry men from neighboring countries only to be left behind later when the men

                  Unbeknownst to these women, the men, from Gulf countries and
Saudi Arabia, hide their marriages from authorities in their countries to shirk
any legal responsibility.

                  Ramla, a twenty-something Yemeni from the city of Eb, said
she had been married for less than a month before her Saudi husband disappeared
back to the Kingdom.

                  "A friend of my family introduced me to a young Saudi man and
said about the guy's good qualifications," said Ramla. "I thought of him as
being the right man and we got married. He promised to take me with him to the
Kingdom; however he left and never came back." Ramla said his phone numbers and
even his name, Mohammed Abdullah, had been fabricated.

                  Hayat, another Yemeni woman from Sanaa, said she was married
for three years to a Saudi man who "traveled a lot". She said he left once and
never returned. She found out later he had bribed a Yemeni judge with SR2,000
($533) not to certify the marriage contract.

                  Abdu Hamud Saleh, a judge in a Yemeni court, said there are
many families who agree to marry their daughters to foreigners without asking
for authorized marriage contracts. "I have received many offers to do such
contracts," he said. "But I refused to do any contract of marriage unless it is
confirmed by the Saudi Embassy, the Saudi Interior Ministry, and the Ministry
of Justice in Yemen. Further there is a need to provide proof of employment to
ensure that he can provide a sufficient income for his family."

                  After her Saudi husband disappeared, Rasha filed for divorce
on her own, still unsure if the man she married died in some accident, or
simply walked away and returned to Saudi Arabia, and maybe had another wife.

                  She said she regrets not following through with proper
procedure, which might have chased off any man scheming to fool a woman into an
unauthorized marriage. "Unfortunately many families and women do not know or
bother about official documents," she said.

                  "My husband had left me one night, without telling me where
he is going. Later, however, I received a call from his friend telling me that
everything had ended! Therefore, I went to the judge, carrying with me my
marriage contract which was written by a justice person, to be able to get my
divorce," she added.

                  Meanwhile, many Yemeni men are unable to afford marriage,
which in Arab countries usually involves convincing the would-be in-laws that
you can provide for a family, and pay an often-hefty dowry and most of the
wedding expenses.

                  A small cottage industry has popped up in Yemen in recent
years where for a small SR2 or SR3 fee (less than a dollar) Yemeni men can pose
in a groom's chair (the traditional seat of a groom in a Arab wedding ceremony)
among wedding decorations.

                  This service is being offered by a group of photographers in
Sanaa's Al-Tahreer Park.

                  Tahir Ahmad, a cameraman said that he takes more that 50 of
these faked wedding photos every day; most of his customers are between the age
of 16 and 26.

                  He says that most of his customers simply want a picture of
themselves as grooms, and he doesn't believe that they're using them for any
deceitful purposes. "It's more a novelty than anything else," he said.

                  Fuad Hamud Abdu, a 24-year-old Yemeni, who had just posed for
his glamour shot said he thought he might play a joke on his friends, all of
whom are unmarried, he said, and in their late teens to early twenties.

                  "Posing for this picture, it gives me a little taste of what
it would feel like (to get married), especially when the cameraman
congratulates me warmly," he said.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx