[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Let the Baby Die!

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 23:45:24 +0200

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=13&section=0&article=86419&d=12&m=9&y=2006&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Local%20Press

            Tuesday, 12, September, 2006 (19, Sha`ban, 1427)

                  Let the Baby Die!
                  Dr. Waleed Fetaihi, Okaz

                  My phone rang late at night while I was on a trip abroad. A
female gynecologist called me up and said that she's on her way to a hospital
to help a pregnant woman who was in labor. The woman was admitted into hospital
an hour before and the gynecologist was ringing to consult me on an issue. The
woman's husband had signed a paper prohibiting the hospital from performing a
Caesarian delivery under any circumstance even if the baby's life was in
danger.

                  I asked the gynecologist, who has accreditation from the
American Board of Medical Specialties and has worked in the United States a
number of years, how American doctors would react in a similar situation. She
told me that such situations were rare in the US because there the mother is
always the decision maker when it comes to childbirth.

                  The life of a pregnant woman was at stake because people are
ill informed of the reasons why doctors resort to the Caesarian section to
quickly deliver a baby. For example, in cases where the umbilical cord
surrounds a baby's neck - something that can only be found out just before the
delivery - a Caesarian section is the immediate option to save the baby and
prevent it from having a permanent disability.

                  I asked the gynecologist what happens in cases when parents
refuse to approve the required surgery to save the baby. She said hospital
workers usually seek a judge's help and get at least his verbal approval if the
emergency occurs in the middle of the night. Protecting life is the state's
responsibility when the parents fail to provide their unborn child with the
necessary protection.

                  I prayed to God to guide me. After some reflection, I thought
of calling Dr. Mohammed Al-Bar, a member of the hospital's ethics committee and
a consultant of the Muslim World League. But I became reluctant to wake him up
at that late hour. Finally I decided to contact the woman's husband. I phoned
him up and, after introducing myself, wished his wife an easy and safe
delivery. Then I asked him about his decision to prohibit a Caesarian section
and whether he was aware of the consequences. I was shocked to hear him scream,
"Let the baby die."

                  My tone changed. I told him that if he's willing to kill his
child or let it be born with a permanent disability then the gynecologist, the
hospital and I myself do not want to be partners in that crime. It was then
that the man started listening. Time was running out and I tried my best to
convince him. He finally agreed to give the doctors the freedom to make a
decision in order to save both the mother and child.

                  Minutes later, I learned that the man, having taken the
advice of friends and relatives, had signed documents giving doctors permission
to do whatever they needed to do. Later it transpired that some ignorant people
had told the man that a Caesarian section costs more than a natural birth and
hospitals would exploit patients by unnecessarily rushing to surgical delivery.

                  That moment I realized that the biggest challenge facing the
Kingdom's health sector isn't achieving the highest quality of service, hiring
the best doctors, buying the latest equipment, or adopting the finest policies.
The biggest challenge is for the doctors and hospitals to regain the confidence
and trust of the public.

                  The process of recovering trust requires huge efforts and a
lot of time. Complications are possible even in the best of medical centers in
the world. These cannot be called medical mistakes, but rather be referred to
as unexpected complications.

                  In less than 15 minutes I was able to gain the trust of a
person who in fact had been misled by ignorant people. At the end of our
conversation he asked me what he should do. I told him to go to the hospital
and cancel the paper he had signed - and he did exactly that.

                  In an hour, the man called me back and cheerily told me of
his newborn child. He prayed for my health and happiness as well as that of the
gynecologist and thanked us for the patience and support we gave him.

                  We as doctors have a huge responsibility to spread awareness
among people, especially regarding women's health. At the end of the day,
mothers should have the final say in situations such as this. We also have to
work hard in restoring patients' trust in our doctors and hospitals. Many
studies have emphasized "the faith factor" as an important element in helping a
patient recover.

                  Doctors also need to clarify rules and regulations related to
medical issues and facilitate means of conveying these facts to patients and
other doctors.

                  In emergency situations, cooperation between doctors and the
authorities must be ensured day and night.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx