[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Judging Our Judgmental Ways

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:33:04 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=9&section=0&article=75891&d=11&m=1&y=2006

            Saturday, 7, January, 2006 (07, Dhul Hijjah, 1426)

                  Judging Our Judgmental Ways
                  Manal Quota, Arab News

                  LOS ANGELES, 7 January 2006 - Walking down the streets of Los
Angeles people become accustomed to seeing certain things that they quickly
brush off after giving one or two simple glances. Along the popular and trendy
beach promenade you are bound to do the two-second glances and rubbernecking
over and over. This is because on the promenade you will see people from all
walks of life.

                  There are the usual bums talking to themselves as they jingle
their change in paper cups. There is the gypsy man proudly displaying his
psychic cat, who for the small fee of one dollar will tell you your future. On
the street corner there is the young lady sitting silently on the paved ground
next to her small gray bag of possessions playing a melancholy tune on her
guitar.

                  She looks up only to retune her strings. Then there is the
heavily bearded man reciting versus from the Bible while holding a large poster
that declares in bold hand-written lettering: "God is coming for you".

                  Indeed, there is an assortment of strange and intriguing
characters to be found on the streets of Los Angeles to whom the locals seem
oblivious.

                  Why then do some people still stare, and some are taken
aback, when they see a woman with a scarf covering her hair and clothes
covering all her body. Los Angeles is known as one of the great melting pots in
America, so it is not unusual to find Muslim women who are muhajjabas (women
who choose to cover their hair). Yet some Americans are still uncomfortable
seeing women in this manner.

                  "I am sure the women who cover their hair do it by choice,"
said Valentina Que. "But still when I see a girl that way, I can't help but
wonder if she was forced to do it. Maybe it's from the media, or the stigma I
have with covering hair. I'm just not used to it so yes I may look two or three
times before turning away."

                  "I don't understand it. I don't know what these women are
trying to achieve when they cover their hair," said Mark Gabeer "I don't want
to offend anyone. I respect that it is a choice I just don't understand the
choice. Because of that I am bound to think twice about it."

                  Fatimah Bayona, an American-Indonesian woman and a local Los
Angeles resident says she has covered her hair for most of her adult life. "I
have gotten so many different reactions from people it has become amusing. Some
people just stare shamelessly, others try and hide it. Some people are very
forward and they will just come up to me and start asking questions. Others
don't care," said Bayona.

                  When asked about her experiences with relations to different
people, Bayona explained how she has been treated worse in some cases because
of her scarf.

                  She recounted one incident where at a local mall an older man
screamed at her and her family that they are "terrorists" and that they should

                  "Events like that are rare," she said with a smile. Being in
Los Angeles Bayona knows she is fortunate because it is a place that has a
large population of people who come from a variety of backgrounds. People are
more exposed to different views making everyone more open-minded.

                  Yet many of the people who were approached did not understand
the reasoning behind a woman covering her hair. Walking by a homeless man
jingling his change and talking to himself is a strange sight. Yet people are
more accepting of that sight than of seeing a well-off woman covered from head
to toe.

                  "I am less likely to look at the homeless man twice because I
know he has no other choice. The woman who covers her hair has a choice, and it
is a choice different than what I would choose, that's why it is strange to me.
Also I see homeless people all the time," said Que.

                  The question is then, does this lack of understanding equal
lack of acceptance? From the people who spoke to this journalist, it is clear
that this is not a case of prejudice or negative feelings to Islam
specifically. Rather it is a question of accepting differences and one of quick
judgment. People are judgmental creatures.

                  "We always fear what we do not know or understand," said
Carlos Joen, who admits to having made quick judgments when he saw muhajjabas,
"and many are unwilling to step out of their comfort zone to try and understand
the other perspective. I know I was that way until I met Fatimah and learned a
little about her background and beliefs."

                  It is a fact that prejudice judgments are made toward
everyone and almost everything. It is human habit. We are all guilty of making
a judgment toward someone else at some point.

                  The key point, however, is how we choose to deal with these
judgments. Some people are not willing to look beyond their own views and
opinions and thus act like Bayona's aggressor. While, others open up at the
chance of learning something new. Which attitude is better? You be the judge.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx