[nasional_list] [ppiindia] From One Saudi Woman to Another

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:57:55 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=9&section=0&article=76521&d=20&m=1&y=2006

Friday, 20, January, 2006 (20, Dhul Hijjah, 1426)

      From One Saudi Woman to Another
      Mody Al-Khalaf, mody.alkhalaf@xxxxxxxxx

      With the constant struggle between conflicting opinions in my country
today, I have sadly had to grow used to hearing many statements which
discriminate on the basis of sex. What is sad indeed is that all are made in
the name of Islam. What I have a hard time comprehending, however, is how
statements about female inferiority can be made by women themselves.

      In a recent letter asking "for their Islamic rights," 500 Saudi women
wrote a letter to Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah asking him to
ignore all that is being written in the papers regarding "Western" rights for
women. What the women objected to was the plan to open more jobs to women. They
say that since Islam gives men the responsibility of supporting women
financially, there is no need for women to work.

      Moreover, they claim that the Qur'an orders women to stay at home in
order to maintain family harmony. Family life and motherhood, they say, is what
best suits a woman's physical and psychological nature; it is, they said, "our
real and natural job and what women have happily lived for since the age of the
Prophet (peace be upon him) until today." For these very reasons, they also ask
that our school curriculum be rewritten in a way that is "harmonious with the
nature of women, with a special focus on religious subjects, the Arabic
language, home economics and motherhood."

      Another point which concerned them is that if women are allowed to work
at all the different jobs being suggested - especially those where the working
environment is not sexually segregated - then both men and women will be
exposed to grave dangers. Hence, all ideas leading to mixing of the sexes
should be rejected: "One of the main aims of Shariah is to protect one's honor
by prohibiting any action that leads to irregularity and if such prohibitions
are not set, then religion is being assaulted." This is also why they feel that
women should not be allowed to drive since "if women are being sexually
harassed in shopping centers, next to schools and in public places, then what
will happen if - God forbid - women are allowed to drive?"

      The 500 women further demand that all "Westernized" writings and ideas
calling for equality between men and women be stopped. At the same time, they
ironically ask that the media not be monopolized; what they mean is that
religious scholars should be given a chance to reply to those asking for
changes that will "shake the structure of our society." In addition, the women
want a separate ministry for women and their problems - though of course, they
add that this ministry should be run by competent male religious scholars.

      These are just some of the points addressed by the 500 women who
emphasize that they reject all claims that the "Westernized minds calling for
women's rights today" represent the needs of Saudi women.

      Having a claim to the same nationality, religion and gender, I assume
that I have the right to comment on the above without being accused of being a
Westernized mind speaking on behalf of a group I do not represent. As a Saudi
woman, and one of many who are similarly-minded, I too ask for my Islamic
rights.

      I ask for my Islamic right to equality. God, in the Qur'an addresses me
as a complete human being, created in the same way as man: "Mankind, reverence
your guardian lord who created you from a single person, created of like
nature, his mate" (Al Nisa, 1); ordered to comply by Islamic law in the same
manner and promised the same reward or punishment for my actions: "Never will I
suffer to be lost the work of any of you, be he male or female, ye are members,
one of another" (Al Imran, 195). How dare any human perceive me as inferior or
limit my capabilities in an any way?

      I ask for my Islamic right for equality in education. The Prophet (peace
be upon him) ordered all Muslims to seek knowledge. He did not limit certain
fields to one sex or the other. Why should I be limited to religious and
domestic subjects when Aisha was a scholar in fields as diverse as religion,
poetry and medicine? Moreover, she taught and issued fatwas to both men and
women.

      I ask for wider vocational opportunities. Unlike what the letter alleges,
women even during the Prophet's age worked in jobs that we no longer work in
today. Wasn't Khadijah, his first wife, a businesswoman, buying, selling, and
negotiating with men and women? His other wife, Zainab, worked making
handicrafts and sold them. The Prophet's aunt, Umm Munthur, sold dates in Okaz
market. She was a Muslim then and the market was not segregated. Malika Umm
Al-Saib was known as a seller of perfume to the Prophet himself. Atika bint
Khaled had a tent near the Kaaba where she sold food and drinks to both men and
women, just as restaurants do today. Women fought and nursed in wars alongside
the Prophet. Women farmed and herded. If the list is limited in any way, it is
because of the types of occupations available then - not because of Islamic
restrictions. All jobs available to men then were also available to women.

      Thus, no job should be denied to women in the name of Islam. Islam
forbids an unrelated man and woman from being alone - yes; it does not,
however, forbid men and women from mixing. If segregation were the norm, why
were we not requested to be segregated in the Holy Mosque?

      And to the 500 women, I say this: When you go to hospitals, don't you ask
to see women nurses, dentists and doctors? Who would you ask to see if those
nurses, dentists and doctors embraced your interpretation of Islam and
restricted themselves to certain fields or stayed at home?

      Thus, I ask for my Islamic right to work in marketing, sales, catering,
medicine, law, politics, engineering, fashion, the military or any other
occupation which I might choose.

      I ask that my Islamic rights to financial support, marriage, divorce,
alimony, and child custody be translated from verbal theories into practical
implications seen in our daily lives. I wonder if the 500 women have noticed
that our system has absolutely no power to implement the Islamic rights we
should have, including the right to financial support mentioned in their
letter. And what if a man does not agree to support me, then what? Am I
supposed to sit at home and wait for charity?

      I ask for my Islamic rights to travel with any "mahram" and not just my
legal guardian. I ask for my Islamic right to eat at a restaurant without a
male chaperone. I ask for my Islamic right to drive and not be forced to ride
alone with a non-mahram. I ask for my Islamic right to get medical treatment
without male consent. I ask for my Islamic right to rent a house without male
consent. I ask for my Islamic right to get an education and job without male
consent.

      And finally, as a Muslim, I ask for my right to choose. In any argument,
a Muslim has the right to choose the interpretations he or she wants instead of
being forced to go along with other people's choices. Since I am speaking about
women's rights in particular, where are my rights to choose the interpretations
I want regarding my hijab, for example? Whether to cover my face or not is open
to several interpretations; and there is certainly no Islamic law that says I
must wear black. Aisha said that when given two choices, the Prophet always
chose the easier of the two so long as it was not sinful. Why am I being
deprived of one of my greatest Islamic rights: To follow in the footsteps of
the Prophet?

      Freedom of choice is a right the 500 women have too. If they want to stay
at home, limit themselves to certain fields of study, refuse to drive, or move
only in segregated places then they are at liberty to do so. What they have no
right to do, however, is to impose their views on all Muslim women. Nor do they
have the right to speak on our behalf to the king.

      * * *

      (Mody Al-Khalaf is a Saudi writer. She is based in Riyadh.)

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx