[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Female-pilot and female-rew flies Pakistani passenger plane

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:57:50 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://newsfromrussia.com/world/2006/01/27/71935.html

Female-pilot and female-rew flies Pakistani passenger plane

15:30 2006-01-27
First Pakistani passenger plane with a female pilot and all-woman crew flew on
a domestic flight this week, making aviation history in the Islamic nation, an
airline official said Friday. Now the pilot, Ayesha Rabia Naveed, 48, who
already has 6,000 hours' experience flying as a co-pilot with Pakistan
International Airlines, aims to captain larger jet airliners for the national
carrier.
The 40 passengers aboard Wednesday's PIA flight from Islamabad to the eastern
city of Lahore were told before takeoff that the pilot was a woman, but only
found out afterward that it was a first. After the safe landing in Lahore,
colleagues showered Naveed, co-pilot Sadia Aziz, and flight attendants Shazia
Kauser and Tauseef Ashraf with petals and garlands as they left the Fokker
turboprop plane.

"That was a nice feeling and great sense of achievement for me," Naveed told
The Associated Press on Friday. "I am trained on all types of equipment in the
PIA fleet like the Boeing 747 and Airbus, and I had been flying them as a
co-pilot. I believe days are not far off when I will be flying them as
pilot-in-command," she said.

Despite opposition from hard-line religious groups that often discourage women
from jobs traditionally performed by men, PIA said it was proud to have the
first all-women crew in the airline's 58-year history. "PIA is an equal
opportunity employer in all its areas of operation ... and as such PIA was the
first to employ a woman pilot," spokesman Hassan Jaffery said.

The airline has 548 male and six female pilots. Until Wednesday, women had only
served as co-pilots. Naveed learned to fly by taking lessons with a flying club
in Lahore before joining PIA 15 years ago. She said she had no apprehensions
before the historic flight, which she described as "smooth all the way."

"There was no point of being scared as we are trained equally as our male
colleagues," Naveed said, reports the AP.

D.M.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx