[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Earthquake monitoring gear stolen in West Java

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:51:40 +0200

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com **Refleksi: Apa saja yang tidak bisa
dicuri atau dikorupsi di Indonesia?

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20060914.G01&irec=0

Earthquake monitoring gear stolen in West Java
Yuli Tri Suwarni, The Jakarta Post, Bandung

Earthquake monitoring equipment worth about Rp 100 million (US$10,526)
installed at Mount Guntur in Garut regency, West Java, has been stolen, thereby
halting quake monitoring activities, an official said Wednesday.

Surono, head of the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center, said
that his office had reported the theft to the security authorities, the 13th
such theft to take place on the mount.

He explained that the stolen equipment consisted of, among others things, a
seismometer, battery, solar panel and voltage control oscillator.

"We urge the thieves to return the equipment as it will be useless for them,
while we are badly in need of the equipment to monitor the activities of the
mount in the interests of the public," Surono said.

Surono further said that such thefts had taken place several times, and he
would intensify security there by ordering the four security officers to be
more vigilant.

Previously the thieves just took the solar panel and its battery which produces
power to generate the seismometer, he said.

"We have actually installed the equipment using concrete construction, but it
turns out the thieves are cleverer," Surono said, adding that the equipment was
installed far from a track used by local people and climbers to prevent theft.

The stolen set is one of four sets of such equipment to monitor seismic
activity on Mount Guntur, he said.

Mas Atje Purbawinata, head of the western part of the mountain monitoring
office, disclosed that the theft would prevent observers from determining the
epicenter of a possible earthquake.

Mount Guntur, which is 2,800 meters in height, last erupted in 1847 and after
being inactive for a long time its volcanic activities began again in February
this year.

The seismic activities, which take place two to three time per week, have
increased to eight times per day, but the Volcanology and Geological Disaster
Mitigation Center has not raised its alert status.

"We will still closely monitor its development as we are concerned that the
mount's volcanic activities may intensify, threatening the lives of the people
living of the mount's slopes in the many recreation areas," Atje added.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx