[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Bringing Down the Curtains

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:10:27 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=76218&d=14&m=1&y=2006

            Saturday, 14, January, 2006 (14, Dhul Hijjah, 1426)

                  Bringing Down the Curtains
                  Tariq A. Al-Maeena, close_encounters@xxxxxxxxx

                  It was the day before Haj, and Jeddah was eerily silent. None
of the hustle and bustle associated with this busiest of cities. The streets
were nearly deserted of traffic, as millions were gathering themselves on their
way to Arafat to perform Haj, while others were enjoying their time off work.
The day started pleasant and cool. And so it seemed a perfect morning to take a
drive around the town, unfettered by the throng of traffic and unnerving
drivers we are so accustomed to. My wife and my son made my company as we took
a casual drive by the coastline. On the way back, we stopped by The Coffee Bean
and Tea Leaf outlet to enjoy breakfast.

                  There were two entrances, one for families and the other for
singles. As we walked into the family section, we were not impressed by the
confined space within the tiny premises, nor by the claustrophobic curtains and
shades that closed the outside in and left us with the feeling that we were
boxed in.

                  Not wanting to spend our time in confinement, we placed our
order and asked the clerk to bring our breakfast over to the singles section
where we were going to be seated. That area was well spaced out and with large
windows opening out onto the street. The view was pleasant and cheery and there
was hardly a soul in there from which one could expect any trouble.

                  The clerk somewhat flustered with my request, told me that
that area was set aside for singles. "Don't worry," I assured him. "Any single
man trying anything out of line would have me to deal with. You just go ahead
and get our orders ready. Leave the rest to me."

                  Noticing his reluctance, I asked him firmly if there was any
law in the books preventing us from being seated where we chose. And I was
certainly not going to subject our presence of mind to a cramped atmosphere. I
could understand preventing singles from invading family sections, but the
reverse held no logic. My wife by this time began fidgeting nervously, while my
son coolly distanced himself away.

                  I continued. "Listen, It's OK. I assure you I will take care
of my family. And you don't have to worry. It is my decision and I don't
believe there would be any trouble. People are not animals, and that includes
singles. And if one happens to get out of line, I will quickly put an end to
it. Besides there are no patrons in the single section yet, and so we should
not expect any trouble," I reassured him.

                  "But sir, maybe the conservative people..." he stammered, as
his fellow workers stood by taking it all in.

                  "What? You are going to tell me they will raid this place and
arrest you all just because my family and I are enjoying an early morning
breakfast in a cheery atmosphere? If you are concerned about that and I can
understand your fears, I'll assure you that if they happen to come by and make
trouble I will absolve you of all responsibility and deal with them on my own.
We are not committing any sins or vices, and have nothing to fear."

                  He finally gave in as we made ourselves over to the singles
section and seated ourselves. It was indeed a much more pleasant place to enjoy
our breakfast. And after we were served, I noticed from the corner of my eye
the waiters were discreetly leaving the premises one by one. They simply did
not want to get busted.

                  Amusing as it was, I wondered...Is it not time to bring down
the curtains? We perform our Haj in mixed company, we pray at the Holy Mosques
in closeness of each other, we travel on airplanes un-segregated, and yet we
cannot as civilized people sit and break bread in proximity of each other
without the fear of hassle or annoyance?

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx