[nas-2000] Re: new ideas

  • From: Julius Loman <lomo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 12:55:12 +0200

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 07:07:21PM +0200, philipp Wehrheim <flipstar@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm back from germany and bought some really nice toys
> like a bluetooth dongle (class 2 (100m)) and a 2nd big harddisk.
>
> So why not make the NAS a bluetooth/Lan Router or bt/printserver?
> I'll try to learn something about bluetooth in the next time.
>
> @Tom I agree that it is problably not a good idea to power 2 or
> even 4 HD's with the powersupply but how much power/watt dose
> your DualHD Nas got?
> guess I'll put the 2nd hd in a external 3.5" Harddisk-box with
> its own powersupply.
> (The NAS2000 comes with a 12V, 2A. 34W)
>
> @Julius ill test your kernel and email you the kmessages later.
>
> A few days ago a nice person send me a hint that another nas
> that is also based on the NAS-2000/storlink arch has bittorrent support
> in the (sausalito) webgui. So I thing that the next tinky version
> (yes I still think comfort is a nice thing) should have a more
> modular layout for the WebGUI/Sausalito as well. This way people
> could decide if they need Printersupport/Bittorrent or USB-Hotplug etc.
> and simply fire up "ipkg install tinky-app-printer". Because the
> sausalito thing is really modular it should be easy to add stuff
> more or less on the fly.
Yes it's a good idea to have it modular and minimalistic, so everyone
can choose which features are relevant for him.

Also ipkg could have web frontend.

Bluetooth is very nice feature, could be used also as another network
device (maybe for accessing the console from mobile phone ?) but it's a
geek-only feature mostly. BT is far too slow to use it for regular
printing.

--

[ Julius Loman ][ lomo@xxxxxxxxxxx ][ http://lomo.kyberia.net ][ icq:35732873 ]