[nas-2000] extending the capabilities with linux from drive?

  • From: "Felix Mellmann" <mellmispam@xxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 19:00:20 +0200

Hey guys!

I have now tinky running on my NAS1000, a lot of thanks to those, who made that
piece of work! But I'd like to go one step forward, how amazing would it be, if
we could get the NAS device to boot from the hdd (having a bash, apache, php or
even a midnight commander ;) ?!
I thought about the following: keep RedBoot (of course), keep the kernel and
the rest but tell the kernel, that the root device is /dev/hda(x).
"rdev" on the kernel image from /dev/mtd1 tells the current used device -
0x1a02, that means 0x1a for the major and 0x02 for the minor number, but
/dev/mtd2 (where the boot image resists) has 0x5a02, so there is a bit missing
.. booting from /dev/hda1 would lead into the root device 0x0301.

I think with the original kernel image saved on my pc, and not modifing
RedBoot, it should be safe, trying it.
Buuut, i have another problem, does anyone know, how to tell the kernel, that
it should use the serial port as its console? Furthermore, is the serial port
usable under linux as well? cat /proc/tty/drivers just outputs /dev/ttySL0 as a
serial interface ..

thanks a lot in advance,
Felix