[nas-2000] Re: custom kernel/ initrd problem

  • From: Dan Luedtke <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 16:41:20 +0100

Hi Felix,

Am 04.01.2008 um 16:10 schrieb Felix Mellmann:
.. but you can use a larger initrd if you want, but you have to remove the "Application" file in flash. I kept that one because its then easier to switch to the old system.

OK, thanks for that, i will try it.

If you have a look on my initrd, there are just some needed devices, 2 essential libraries and the modified /sbin/init which swaps from flash to hdd.

How to swap over to hdd? I thought the kernel doesnt care where the initrd comes from as long as it is startet in some way. The bootloader starts the initrd, doesnt he?! I will see, as long as the redbootloader is working i will have all oportunities :)

I don't know what you want to do with cryptonas

it's less an important thing, its more a how-far-can-i-go-with-this- little-gadget thing for wasting my free time :) Maybe some day i'll plug my usb thmubdrive holding the keyfile into the unused USB port, then the NAS starts decrypting the volume and grants me access to it via network (samba for example would be nice) as long as the thumbdrive is in the port.

An easy way of open and close encrypted volumes with personal data for reading/backup. But thats just a possiblity, today it's still this testiing/learning thing.

Btw. can you please tell me which kernel sources you have used? The vanilla (unpatched) kernel sources don't include the drivers for the board used in the NAS... so I haven't build a kernel for the NAS by myself.

Uhm, ok. Thats not good to hear.
I have the vanilla from kernel.org
Shoul i use the debian kernel source? Another long night of compiling for the NAS :) I really should think about cross compiling.

Where do you have the kernel from? Are there prebuild kernels somewhere on the net? I need the device mapper, loopback device, usb support etc :( Thats the problem.

2nd Btw. where did your 3 MB initrd image came from?
shame on me, i just used
% make menuconfig
% make-kpkg --initrd kernel-image

Then there was an initrd.img-2.6.xxx-xx-blah in /boot.

Using debian on the NAS is a great deal! Thanks for that btw. I saw the drive at "Media Markt" (an annoying German end-consumer electronic market, for those how don't know) with the sticker saying "New Firmware. Supports Bonjour, HDD Encryption, Twonky Media...". HDD-Encryption made me thinking "Uhhm, lets see what they call encryption." Spending my last money to the NAS i now have a little toy for big games (see above) including world domination :)