[nas-2000] Re: building the kernel from sources

  • From: "Felix Mellmann" <mellmispam@xxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 01:48:19 +0200

Thank you Philipp!
pivot_root() does the expected job. I didn't believe, that it would be
possible, esp. because /sbin/init insists on being process number 1, but with
an identical init in the initrd image an on the hdd, it works.
All i have done is preparing a debian environment in the root of /dev/hda2 with
debootstrap (which is a difficult part), patching sysvinit and building a
minimalistic initrd.
I think, I will post my results to the wiki, when it reaches a workable state.
Maybe its useful for others.
Sorry I know, that a flash based os is more appropriate than a hdd based one,
but I don't like busybox and I want to be free...