[nas-2000] Re: [Tinky-LS] Tinky for DUAL HDD NAS IDE/SATA download

  • From: "flipstar@xxxxxxx" <flipstar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:56:43 +0100

Hey Paolo,

first of all thanks for your work!

Paolo Scaffardi schrieb:
Hi!
Thanks for your post, I think your file looks very useful;

I forward your thanks to this mailing list and original firmware author who did the biggest work. I only made some patch on it, nothing else.

I hope you do not mind a few questions from a beginner -

No problem. I've many unanswered questions, too, because i am a NAS newbie user, too. :-D

 > Remove the ImageInfo zImage entry. Remove the zImage from tar.
 > Then you can use the webgui update (current kernel will be kept).
As I am upgrading from the last MRT release (G5S52233211), any basic instructions on how to remove the ImageInfo zImage entry and zImage from tar would be much appreciated; I am using Mac OSX if this helps.

If it's too hard, you could upgrade without removing it because upgrading with same kernel simply does nothing but taking the upgrade processs more time. So dont worry about that and upgrade.

Also, the last MRT release (G5S52233211) did not include telnet access; after this upgrade (Tinky-LS), is telnet access enabled?

Good question. I think that telnet option in last MRT release simply was not configurable via webgui, but telnet is still there because when i upgraded - keeping configuration - from previous version, i had telnet daemon running. But with Tinky you dont need telnet anymore, because there is a ssh server on NAS (dropbear).

Finally, I would like to securely access my Dual NAS HDD (SATA) from outside my (home) network, as well as stream audio & video files from this device; after this upgrade (Tinky-LS) could I install IPKG packages such as openSSH, openVNC, Mediatomb or UShare?

To access the NAS from ouside your home network, you can use the SSH connection. Since the idea was keeping the rest of Tinky firmware, other ipkgs are obviously installable.

But you dont need openssh since dropbear is smaller and already installed.

I dont understand why do you need openvnc: the NAS has no X11 or any window manager on it!

About mediatomb or ushare: i dont know them but you can install them with ipkg. With mediatomb i had libraries problems when i tried to run it but i should check more. I use TwonkyMedia to stream from my NAS to my PS3 and XBOX360.

There are currently a number of issues with ipkg and libs and/or the pre-/post-install scripts :-( Please try to track down the issue you had with mediatomb and I'll fix it. Anyway I only made the mediatomb pkg with a very simple config-file so you'll have to rewrite/improve the config I guess.

--
flip