[nas-2000] Re: [Tinky-LS] Tinky for DUAL HDD NAS IDE/SATA download

  • From: Rob <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:32:42 +0000

On 12/02/2008, Paolo Scaffardi <paolo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It is probably a died drive...

I think so, but the SMART tests seem to report it OK.  I'll run the
manufacturer diagnostics on it as soon as I can free up a PC.

> I dont think that migrating from MRT to Tinky will make everything work
> like before because of different mounting paths (upcase instead of
> lowercase) and many others things.

So I noticed.  It's perhaps just as well I tried this on a spare
system and drive, rather than on the live one!

> You have to put into /system/override/bin because the / is mounted on RAM!

Ah, okies..

> > How can I simply wipe the disc and get it back to default using
> I cant help on that. I never did that!
I found it - easy enough to wipe a drive:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=9999
(actually, not the full drive, but more than enough of it to wipe all
the partition tables etc. to make the box think it's now a new drive.)

Of course, then the blooming thing lost the IP address I'd given it
and  grabbed a new one from the DHCP server... thought I'd lost it for
a moment!

Thanks for the help!