[nas-2000] Re: Tinky on DUAL NAS as original firmware addon...

  • From: Paolo Scaffardi <paolo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:52:59 +0100

Hi Philipp!

You'll have to create them every time the NAS boots or you have to
change the initrd.

I looked deeply inside Tinky<->Original firmware differences. There's more than missing devices... many scripts have been cleaned and many redundant script code about /dev/md0, /dev/hdc, /dev/hdd and /dev/sd have been removed. So, i could repair back these stuff... but i'd like not to do this every time you release a new Tinky version! :-(

My alternative is to create a patched version of our MZT firmware, that supports SSH and ipkg in a Tinky compatible format.

What do you think? Or could we merge in Tinky the compatibility with DUAL HDD NAS (usb+additional IDE channels)? I think most of the original script code can be removed and optimized. I really dont understand why using ugly cases instead of string replacement into these... and why not using many bash features instead of redundant code (this is not for you but for original fw developers!).

Anyway in the next tinky version we really should use mdev (busybox udev)!

Great!

I don't think it is a sausalito problem as "the same" sausalito is used
on a large number of NAS's

You're right. It's (stripped) script related. Not your fault: simply you removed what you didnt need for your NAS.

Are your patches available as separate packages?
no

:-(

basically I changeed / added:
  - dropbear
  - ipkg
  - wget
  - changed /etc/rc /etc/rc.* /etc/init.d/rcS /etc/inittab
  - added some termcaps

If you used a orig and tinky firmware with dirdiff may help.

I tried doing that. I see you removed some lib, modules and executables. You cannot do anything else to put everything inside the flash. Did you thought about a different flash partitioning approach to not have these space-related problems? In all embedded project i've seen i always found a minimal ramdisk image + an optional squashfs image + a jffs2 image. Everything need changes (configuration, plugins) is put on the jffs2. So no more hdd stuff is needed for basic/minimal tasks. And no more entire flash partition programming, too. It's only an idea...

Im very sure that sausalito is static -< the same on all NAS's

You replied a big question in my mind!

Good luck and sorry for the late reply.

No problem: this is not our work!

I lately spend all my time working on kvm (qemu) which is such a cool app.

Are you an active kvm/qemu developer? Or for personal use (with ARM)?

Bye bye,
Paolo Scaffardi
http://www.arsenio.net
http://www.sognilucidi.it