[nas-2000] Re: Tinky on DUAL NAS as original firmware addon...

  • From: Philipp Wehrheim <flipstar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:38:42 +0100

Paolo Scaffardi schrieb:
> Hi there!
> I tried using Tinky with my DUAL HDD NAS IDE. Then i replaced the kernel
> with the original NAS kernel (taken from last MRT Communications image)
> to enable USB and second IDE channel, too. I had to create device nodes
> (mknod /dev/hdc* + /dev/hdd*).

You'll have to create them every time the NAS boots or you have to
change the initrd.
Anyway in the next tinky version we really should use mdev (busybox udev)!

> But the software seems not to complete the mounting of the second hard
> disk, even if i format it with diskutility. It always tells me: "the
> format is complete. wait until.. blah... blah... blah...". And nothing
> is mounted nor more shares available. On the linux box i see a mounted
> /mnt/ide3 folder (not /mnt/IDE3).
> It seems the sausalito software cannot handle this second channel
> correctly.

I don't think it is a sausalito problem as "the same" sausalito is used
on a large number of NAS's

> Now, instead of investigating how to fix Sausalito... i'm evaluating the
> possibility of customize our NAS original firwmare and adding the Tinky
> part you added to your original firmware.
> Are your patches available as separate packages?

> What did you exactly to patch the firmware?

basically I changeed / added:

  - dropbear
  - ipkg
  - wget
  - changed /etc/rc /etc/rc.* /etc/init.d/rcS /etc/inittab
  - added some termcaps

If you used a orig and tinky firmware with dirdiff may help.

> What partitions did you change?

Ramdisk and Application

> If sauslito was built different around for every NAS, this seems to be
> the only way to add Tinky changes to our NAS... :-(

Im very sure that sausalito is static -< the same on all NAS's

Try to used strace etc etc to figure our that sausalito is doing :-)

And try:

Good luck and sorry for the late reply.
I lately spend all my time working on kvm (qemu) which is such a cool app.