[nas-2000] SSH-Login to NAS using public key

  • From: Markus Woessner <flitzebogen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:53:18 +0100

Hi all,

After following briefly http://nas-2000.org/mwiki/index.php?title=Secure_SSH_access_from_the_Internet_to_the_NAS and http://wiki.openwrt.org/DropbearPublicKeyAuthenticationHowto#head-bab041936d4624a0ebe6d601b09022081e7e6191 about how to setup my nas for ssh-login by public key it keeps requesting a password. Some questions about this:

1.) I use NAT to map an external port "xyz" to port 22 of the nas. This works fine with password auth. May this cause trouble with public key auth? 2.) Is is correct to use ~/.ssh/ instead of /etc/dropbear as recommended by the latter mentioned doc ?

A hint could be the following: Experimentally I setup the NAS for public key ONLY (-s option). When trying to logon I got "Permission denied (publickey)" from NAS.

Another issue with ssh: When using rsync over ssh I get the folloowing errors:

rsync: Failed to exec ssh: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at pipe.c(86) [sender=2.6.9]
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at io.c(1122) [sender=2.6.9]

I guess the first one "Failed to exec ssh: No such file or directory (2)" is the main problem as definitly ssh is not a command on nas. How can I log into another machine at all using dropbear?