[nas-2000] Re: Performance SMB vs FTP

  • From: Aurelien <massman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 18:56:25 +0200

Have you got a Nas-1000 or Nas-2000 by the way?

Julius Loman a écrit :
On Thursday 17 May 2007 16:28, Tom Haukap wrote:
Triggerd by the recent discussion about ftp performance I check by box and
found out that the SMB transfer rate are only half of the once from ftp.

I get nearly 7 MB/s from FTP but only around 3.5 MB/s using SMB.
you are lucky having such values!!
i'm getting 1.4MB/s with SMB and 2.8 with CIFS

i've also done some testing and compiled another smbd in gentoo chroot on NAS with same performance results! so now I think the performance will not be much better via smb/cifs protocol on this NAS hardware.

at least this cpu has ~70 bogomips compared to ~4000 with my 2.0GHz Pentium-M

when downloading from NAS, arm cpu in NAS is very busy for smbd (95% or more) and when downloading from my laptop to another computer it is around 2% (at laptop).
so now i guess the performance of SMB is limited with NAS hardware.
has anyone got better results than yours 3.5MB/s ?