[nas-2000] Re: Performance SMB vs FTP

  • From: Aurelien <massman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 18:40:09 +0200

Maybe that NAS-1000 and NAS-2000 do not get the same CPU???
That could also explain the cooler and performances....

philipp Wehrheim a écrit :
Thats strange specialy because you have the NAS1000 right?

and so you don't a fan on the NAS ...

Aurelien schrieb:
I've tried to see if there were any difference between hardware of my
NAS and the Flip's one.
I've seen that Flip got a thermal cooler on his NAS CPU. There is
nothing on mine (see attached pictures).
I will try to see if the unit CPU is really hot during transfer. That
could explain, for a same firmware, the hugh performance
difference that we've got.

philipp Wehrheim a écrit :

not really guess it would be really usefull
to start all daemons that support it by the inetd

Julius Loman schrieb:
On Thursday 17 May 2007 16:28, Tom Haukap wrote:
Triggerd by the recent discussion about ftp performance I check by
box and
found out that the SMB transfer rate are only half of the once from

I get nearly 7 MB/s from FTP but only around 3.5 MB/s using SMB.
you are lucky having such values!!
i'm getting 1.4MB/s with SMB and 2.8 with CIFS

i've also done some testing and compiled another smbd in gentoo
chroot on NAS with same performance results! so now I think the
performance will not be much better via smb/cifs protocol on this NAS

at least this cpu has ~70 bogomips compared to ~4000 with my 2.0GHz

when downloading from NAS, arm cpu in NAS is very busy for smbd (95%
or more)  and when downloading from my laptop to another computer it
is around 2% (at laptop).
so now i guess the performance of SMB is limited with NAS hardware.
has anyone got better results than yours 3.5MB/s ?