[nas-2000] Re: Own System

  • From: Julius Loman <lomo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:29:31 +0200

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 11:08, Nils Potthoff wrote:
> Hello!
> Has anyone build his own system for the NAS? Something like debian or
> gentoo.
no, but you can compile and chroot, uncustomized linux distributions will not
fit into the flash and require installation on the HDD
> In the wiki is a section but i think it is only for firmwareversions 1.*
> not 2.*.
if you mean the debian section, it's basically the same for other
distributions like gentoo
i have a full gentoo armv4 environment on HDD in NAS, i just don't boot it
directly - i do a chroot. (only thing i'm doing in the environment is
compiling as it is noticeably more convenient than cross compiling)
> I'm using different Linux distributions so, configuration is not the
> problem. I don'T know how to do it for a embedded hardware and how to bring
> it to the hardware.
try to read this archive - you can build you own root filesystem and copy that
to flash, but it's complicated with the kernel as the sources for kernel
running on this HW are not available for free.

[Julius Loman][lomo@xxxxxxxxxxx][http://lomo.kyberia.net][icq:35732873]