[nas-2000] Re: OpenVPN Server

  • From: "flipstar@xxxxxxx" <flipstar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:11:11 +0100

Codebotcher schrieb:
> Hi Flip,
>> Hey Codebotcher,
>> Codebotcher schrieb:
>>> Hi Flip,
>>> I did some more research on the web and found the following article on
>>> the openvpn website:
>>> http://openvpn.net/archive/openvpn-users/2004-04/msg00136.html
>>> It seems that at least the following sentence is important for the NAS'
>>> kernel configuration:
>>> <QUOTE>
>>>     you have to activate:
>>>     "<*> Universal TUN/TAP device driver" support
>>>     found under "[*] Network device support"
>>>     IP/IP Tunneling is wrong.
>>> </QUOTE>
>> you are right the module can now be installed via ipkg:
>> ipkg-cl update
>> ipkg-cl install mod-tun
>> and used via:
>> insmod /system/overlay/modules/tun.ko
>> Hope this solves the problem!
> Yes it does! Good job. OpenVPN is working for me now and I owe the
> community a howto. I have some hand-written notes next to me, but I have
> to put them in a human-readable form. Setting up OpenVPN is quite
> trivial once all the required modules are available. Generating the keys
> and certificates might be tricky, though. I did it on my Linux PC and
> simply copied the relevant files to the NAS, but I'm sure this can be
> simplified.
> What's the next step from here? I'm still using the openvpn 2.0.7 you
> sent to the list some time ago. Can we put everything in an ipkg that
> automatically installs all packages OpenVPN is depending on? I don't
> have the ipkg builder installed on my Linux PC, yet. If I would provide
> you with all the files in a structure, could you do that?

Sure I would love to :-D
Or you can build a ipkg by hand. there are two tar archives inside the
ar (ipkg) file ;-)

With OpenVPN you/we can do quite a number of wicket things like:

- mount/access files secure -> yes that's what is was designed for

but another option would be to:

-Get a mobilie-fon with a sip-client and a vpn-client that can connect
        to openvpn (and a dataflatrate is prefered)

-Tell your sip-client to connet trough the vpn-tunnel to your LAN
        and from the LAN ether to your local asterisk or your preferred
        sip provider.

and wheee you can get phone calls on your mobile and people will only
pay for the local call.

thanks again