[nas-2000] NFS Write problems / lockups

  • From: "Christian Wolf" <wolfchri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 20:17:53 +0200

Hi there,

I have the following machine:

Hardware Name           IB-NAS 1000 Platform
Firmware Version         2.3.2.patch.IB.1.beta.5 (Dec. 1, 2006)
Hardware Version         Rev. B
Product Vendor            ICY BOX

I am using it as NFS server for Linux machines. Reading from the Icy
works very well (while not really fast, compared to ftp transfers,
maybe up to 2,5 MByte/sec on our 100MBit Lan).

However, writing to the Icy is a pain in the *ss: I can not move files
650 MB (I am customizing Ubuntu DVDs, so I have file sizes up to 2
GB, also when I use virtual machine images that I store on the NAS)
without the NAS crashing. First it stalls, then it does no respond any
more and needs to be rebooted. I therefore have to upload large files
via ftp, which is unconvenient and nothing my wife can do :-)

I am using the following mout parameters on the local machines:

Icy:/mnt/IDE1/public     /media/Icy     nfs
rw,bg,soft,intr,retry=5,wsize=2048,rsize=8192 0 0

I tried also large wsize parameters (8192 etc.) but that also did not help.

Any ideas how this could be fixed?