[nas-2000] Re: Kernel compilation... and accessing flash within kernel...

  • From: Philipp Wehrheim <flipstar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:06:54 +0100

Hey Paolo,

Paolo Scaffardi schrieb:
> Hi there!
> I am a DUAL HDD NAS user, and i installed your last tinky firmware.
> As i dont have the second channel enabled, i'd like to hack the kernel
> sources to enable it (and much more), but i dont understand where the
> right kernel sources for last tinky firmware are.

The source has not been released to the public by Raidsonic -> the
company selling the NAS-{1000,2000}. What about the company selling the
Did you ask them?

> You probably know it because i've found a usb-enabled kernel version
> (which i didnt try but i will do).

The kernel was taken from a Dual NAS which comes with an USB-port.
The original RS hardware does not come with on soldert USB-port.

> Could you help me?
> About NAS flash i read that same GPIOs are used to access flash, usb and
> IDE/SATA controller. That's why (i suppose) there's no way to
> access/upgrade the flash within the kernel on NAS firmwares.

Where did you read that?

> I exepected
> to find a jffs2 partition, like other similar platforms, but nothing. I
> expected to have a flashcp or mtd_info utility, but nothing. Upgrading
> the flash partition only at startup is a very BAD system to work with a
> dynamic firmware/platform, like our could be.

Have a look at the webupdate files, the syntax is very simple.
If you like you can build an update file that can be used via the WebUI.

> In my personal experience, i work for a company that daily use ARM
> platforms for emebedded projects, the flash is usually partitioned with
> a first stage bootloader (redboot/u-boot), an optional second stage
> bootloader, a ramdisk partition, an optional squashfs partition and an
> additional (but useful) jffs2 partition (user accounts and configuration
> files are kept THERE).

There are a number of things that could be done.
 - kernel execute in place?!
 - unionfs for the root
 - very lightwight firmware all apps but ssh? as pkgs
 - jffs2

> That would make our NAS more quiet, too, because the hard disk WONT be
> spinned up until really needed by NAS clients (or NAS software).
> What do you think about that?

Sounds great! Feel free to extend and add stuff to the firmware.

Tinky is in many ways very similar to the original firmware -> like the
flashlayout, main apps etc..
By only changing some parts of the fw users can simply jump back to the
orig. fw. On the other side the WebUI can still be used what makes the
usage for some users easier.

By the way Alfred has lately done some investigation on the JTAG and
managed to debrig the NAS by reflashing the bootloader.
Thanks again for your work Alfred and Rambo!

Anyway we could talk about making a cut and building our own firmware?
If you are interested we can work out a list of thinks that could/should
be done.