[nas-2000] Re: Kernel compilation... and accessing flash within kernel...

  • From: Paolo Scaffardi <paolo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:12:15 +0100

Hi! I know there're these devices but no utility is given/available to write to them (flashcp, for example, which is the better and simpler i know). I should compile it with mtd-utils and test this stuff, but i currently dont have a ready toolchain for this platform.

Is anyone having already done this? I could provide a customized (and better) version of flashcp to compile instead the mtd-utils package. I'll do tonight...

...and what about a JFFS2 partition?

Felix Mellmann ha scritto:
try "cat /proc/mtd"
You should get the content of the flash as a list. Each given file can be read through /dev/mtdX (where X is the number of the image).

Paolo Scaffardi schrieb:

About NAS flash i read that same GPIOs are used to access flash, usb and IDE/SATA controller. That's why (i suppose) there's no way to access/upgrade the flash within the kernel on NAS firmwares. I exepected to find a jffs2 partition, like other similar platforms, but nothing. I expected to have a flashcp or mtd_info utility, but nothing. Upgrading the flash partition only at startup is a very BAD system to work with a dynamic firmware/platform, like our could be.

Bye bye,
Paolo Scaffardi
msn: paolo@xxxxxxxxxxx
skype: pscaffardi