[nas-2000] Kernel compilation... and accessing flash within kernel...

  • From: Paolo Scaffardi <paolo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:35:15 +0100

Hi there!
I am a DUAL HDD NAS user, and i installed your last tinky firmware.

As i dont have the second channel enabled, i'd like to hack the kernel sources to enable it (and much more), but i dont understand where the right kernel sources for last tinky firmware are.

You probably know it because i've found a usb-enabled kernel version (which i didnt try but i will do).

Could you help me?

About NAS flash i read that same GPIOs are used to access flash, usb and IDE/SATA controller. That's why (i suppose) there's no way to access/upgrade the flash within the kernel on NAS firmwares. I exepected to find a jffs2 partition, like other similar platforms, but nothing. I expected to have a flashcp or mtd_info utility, but nothing. Upgrading the flash partition only at startup is a very BAD system to work with a dynamic firmware/platform, like our could be.

In my personal experience, i work for a company that daily use ARM platforms for emebedded projects, the flash is usually partitioned with a first stage bootloader (redboot/u-boot), an optional second stage bootloader, a ramdisk partition, an optional squashfs partition and an additional (but useful) jffs2 partition (user accounts and configuration files are kept THERE).

That would make our NAS more quiet, too, because the hard disk WONT be spinned up until really needed by NAS clients (or NAS software).

What do you think about that?

Bye bye,
Paolo Scaffardi
http://www.arsenio.net