[nas-2000] Installation of a change root environment on the NAS-2000

  • From: Codebotcher <codebotcher@xxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:13:09 +0200

Hi list,

tonight I tried to install the gentoo change root environment on my
NAS-2000 as described in the howto:

While following the steps on the list I stumbled over several problems:

First of all I downloaded the gentoo package from the mirror server onto
my NAS and tried to untar it. Unfortunately tar aborted at some point in
the /usr directory with an error. As Flip already mentioned something
about a problem in his howto, I went for plan B and unpacked the archive
on my Linux system while writing the output to my NAS which was mounted
via NFS.

Here comes my first question: How do I restart the nfs-server manually?
I had to change the parameter in /etc/exports from "root_squash" to
"no_root_squash" in order to make sure that I'm allowed to dump the
files on the NFS with the correct user.

When this step was finished I tried to link the portage profile. Here my
second problem arose as I couldn't find the 'usr/portage' folder in my
new_root directory. Which package do I have to install to get this profile?

My third problem is that 'emerge' does not work. It is in the /usr/bin
folder, but it has 0 (zero) bytes and the attribute 000.

Thanks for your help,