[nas-2000] Dual HDD NAS (SATA) & IPKG Packages

  • From: gtx coms <gtxcom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:02:32 +0000

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions regarding my Dual HDD NAS (SATA),
currently running firmware version G5S52233211 without telnet access; for more
info please take a look at the previous thread 'Dual HDD NAS (SATA) Firmware',
and thanks for all your responses.

To recap slightly I believe I have three options 1) install the CentriNAS
firmware - which allows telnet access, 2) install the Raidsonic firmware - I
don't know much about this, suggested by Flip, but I'll find out more next
month when he has more time, 3)  install a modified version of Tinky -
outlined here by Samuel Burg
(http://www.freelists.org/archives/nas-2000/01-2008/msg00037.html) - many
thanks; this seems to be the safest option, as it does not involve upgrading
the boot. We are not sure, however, whether the modified Tinky firmware will
allow me to install IPKG packages; I'd be grateful for any opinions.

I am attempting to stream audio & video files from this device, so I would like
to install either UShare (http://ushare.geexbox.org/), Mediatomb
(http://mediatomb.cc/) or TwonkyMedia; I would also like to securely access the
Dual HDD NAS from outside my (home) network, which I believe requires OpenSSH
or OpenVNC. Given this, could Optware
(http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/HomePage) help to simplify the process
of installing / un-installing IPKG packages; or is this not a good idea?

Once again, any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Telly addicts unite!