[nas-2000] Re: Dual HDD NAS (SATA) Firmware

  • From: Samuel BURG <samuel_burg@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 12:45:03 +0100 (CET)

well, I have 3 DUAL HDD NAS : 2x IDE (80+80 Gb &
200+200 Gb) & 1x SATA (300+300 Gb).

IDE NAS with MRT firmware, + some customisation
(+telnet, +root password, -printer)

SATA NAS with ... Tinky !

First of all : do not flash your Dual Hdd Nas with
Tinky "all in one" firmware ! Better to download the
firmware in separated part (boot - kernel - ramdisk -
hddapp) and then flash only kernel+ramdisk+hddapp (you
don't need to upgrade the boot, and it's very

In fact I only use ramdisk + hddapp from Tinky, and
boot + kernel from MRT.

Why ?

Because SATA in dual hdd nas ... in not SATA ... it
seems that there is an internal sata/ide converter (2
ide controler for 2 sata disk), so the "ide-only"
Tinky kernel work !
BUT ... the Tinky kernel only use the ide primary
controler ... so the second SATA disk cannot be used
with this kernel ... so I use the MRT kernel with the
Tinky ramdisk + hddapp.

Good luck !

Samuel Burg

PS : I've also try to customize the rd's scripts in
tinky firmware but ... I've totaly failed ! Duh ! ...
flash back ...

PS-2 : Does someone have a QEMU (or any other
virtualizing software) arm-32 virtual system
simulating a NAS-2000 or Dual-Hdd-NAS, to build, test
and _crash_ soft without danger ?