[nas-2000] Re: Cryptoloop problem

  • From: philipp Wehrheim <flipstar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 18:24:29 +0200

Hi keke,

Keke schrieb:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've installed tinky-2_3_2-mu-02.2 on my NAS-2000 - great stuff, many
> thanks to Flip.
>
> Now I'm playing a little with cryptoloop. Unfortunately I can't get it
> playing. I have tried to create an encrypted container file exactly as
> described in the HOWTO. Everything seems to be fine (losetup; mke2fs;
> mount; ..create some files there..; umount; losetup -d).

the crypto-loop howto is wrong since the loop-aes developer recomment to
use a non journaling filesystem so you should use ext2!!!
Maybe that will help you to solve your problem.

> But trying to remount fails. I execute losetup with the same
> parameters/passphrase as entered before, but mount fails with an
> 'Invalid argument' error. I guess there is no valid filesystem seen
> throughout the loop device anymore. This looks like I'm entered a
> different passphrase. But I'm absolutely sure using the right one
> (copy/paste).
>
> Might the cryptoengine be broken in my nas box or is there probably an
> issue with losetup? Has anyone an idea?
>
> Btw.: Has anyone tried to create an ext3 filesystem in a large partition
> (>300GB). My box always freezes after few minutes (no ssh, http
> anymore). Creating ext2 seems to be no problem. Converting an etx2 to
> ext3 at a later point (connecting the nas via USB to a linux box)
> overcomes this problem, but it's a little bit inconvenient.
Currently im using a 400GB Harddisk formated with ext3 via the
webgui. It takes some time to format the disk but it allways works.

Bye
flip