[nanomsg] Re: websocket mapping

  • From: Drew Crawford <drew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 19:13:40 -0600

> On Feb 3, 2015, at 2:57 PM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> It is a performance tax. But only during connection establishment.  Compared
> to the tcp setup it probably is in the noise.

Well I agree with you, mostly, about the TCP case.  The TCP overhead is zero or
near-zero.

However, what we are talking about with WS is a case where it is definitely
nonzero, and is a full roundtrip, at least.  So in that case the cost-benefit
is much different than it is for the TCP case.

> Anyway, if anyone has any complaints about this approach, I’d like to hear
> it.

I’ve made several complaints.  You may not find them to be valid; there’s not
much I can do about that, except deviate for my implementation.  That’s
essentially the situation I’ve resigned myself to on several points, but
unfortunately the list seems to be growing.