[nanomsg] nanomsg status and encryption

  • From: Drew Crawford <drew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:50:35 -0600

Hey folks, I know this has been asked before, but it seems it’s been 7 months,
so maybe it’s time for a new one :)

I’m embarking on a new development project that I hope sees a public release
inside 6 months or so.  I’m comfortable getting my hands dirty occasionally,
but it’s difficult for me to judge how stable nanomsg is now or how stable it
will be in 6 months.  Can someone chime in and let me know how terrible of an
idea it is to use it for a project in that timeframe?

Also, I have some encryption requirements.  I’m no stranger to implementing
this, having designed something that worked “well enough for me" for zeromq.
As far as trying to move that work upstream goes, there were two real problems.
 One was that everybody says “encryption” and wants something different, and
solving my problem (mostly securing and authenticating 1:1 REQ/REP sockets)
didn’t necessarily solve other people’s problems.  In my view there is no
one-size-fits-all solution.  There are some better and worse ones, but nothing
that works for everybody, and if you hold out for that solution you get
nothing, and thus is the state of zeromq.

The other issue is that there was no real obvious way to inject
authentication/decryption modules into the zeromq codebase.  (That stuff
minimally requires a handshake before any packets are sent, for example, so
it’s not just as simple as running a function on packets as they enter the
queue).  As a result I just did something at the application level, which is
impossible to upstream.  My thinking is that in nanomsg I could perhaps
implement encryption as a protocol or transport…maybe… and get it merged in.
Thoughts?

Drew