[nanomsg] Re: mangos, nanomsg, shared libs in Go

  • From: Steve Vinoski <vinoski@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg <nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 14:06:26 -0400

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I've just noticed that Go can now produce shared libs usable from C. Have
anyone thought of wrapping mangos in nanomsg-compatible C API so that one
can replace another?

The Erlang nanomsg library, enm, wraps the current C code. Getting it to
work with C-wrapped Go might not be possible because running Go inside the
Erlang VM might not be possible, and I have neither the need nor the desire
to find out. One could argue that given Erlang's networking capabilities,
writing a nanomsg clone in Erlang should be relatively easy, and that might
be true. But the reason I wrote enm to use the C nanomsg library is that
integrating such C code into the Erlang VM is a supported feature and is
relatively straightforward, and so doing it that way meant reusing the
existing implementation instead of writing a new one. I'd therefore prefer
to keep the pure C code.

--steve