[nanomsg] Re: initial code repo for Go version of SP protocols

  • From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 22:44:37 -0700

On Mar 23, 2014, at 10:00 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Garrett!
>
>> I’ve finished some debugging, and am now ready to announce the
>> first public release of my SP protocol implementation in pure Go.
>>
>> https://bitbucket.org/gdamore/sp
>>
>> There’s also documentation here:
>> https://godoc.org/bitbucket.org/gdamore/sp
>
> Great work! What about linking the project from nanomsg.org website?
> We can create a page abour "interoperable solutions", "different SP
> implementations" or such. What do you think?

Sounds like a great idea to me. :-)

Feel free to add a link. :-)

>> I will probably implement Pub / Sub in the next day or so.  I
>> expect few if any challenges there.  I’ll have to provide a trie,
>> and I was somewhat surprised to see that nanomsg handles the
>> subscription filters on the subscriber side rather than the
>> publisher.  (I guess this makes much less work for the publisher to
>> keep track of things, and a vastly simpler protocol, but it also
>> assumes network bandwidth is cheap.  It would work better over a
>> true broadcast/multicast medium too.)
>
> Filtering on the publisher side is something that should be done.
> There are some hard theoretical problems involved though (what to do
> when the publisher is not able to accept new subscriptions?) Also, you
> are right that multicast is cheaper broadband-wise and doesn't
> necessarily require filtering on the publisher side.

I think for now, we should keep the subscriber side filtering.  We can invent a
new protocol when/if the need arises.   The nice thing about the work you’ve
done is that it is easy to extend.  Admittedly, its easier to extend in Go than
in C, but that’s more due to Pike and company than anything else. :-)

(It pains me to admit that I’ve found a language that I think I like better
than C.  I have a particular animosity towards C++, or at least what C++ has
become in the past 20 years. :-)

        - Garrett