[nanomsg] Re: accessing control IDs

  • From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 11:32:23 -0700

Nanomsg is ill suited IMO for stateful transactions beyond the minimal kinds of
state needed for req and rep processing.  An application that wants more state
should do in the application payload as you suggest.

BUT I do see a use for being able to pass additional metadata with message
bodies.  I see this as being primarily useful for passing transport specific
details about the peer (and I only see these being passed in receive with no
provision for an app to send them on transmit.)

For example it might be nice to get peer unix credentials for IPC transports or
peer cert info when using TLS.

I am expecting to add this capability to mangos.  I am not exactly sure what
the best way to do this nanomsg itself would be.

Btw I have started the work to add the TLS over TCP transport to nanomsg
itself.  Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone