[nanomsg] Why mingw is not a supported compiler for nanomsg

  • From: "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 09:57:21 -0800

This bug provides the details: https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2274/

Basically, the mingw maintainers have declined to expose the full Windows
API, and as a result, supporting mingw would require maintaining another
“port” of libnanomsg.

I’m flat out refusing to do that. The VS compilers are free (as in beer),
and work; I don’t have the energy to invest in supporting a red-headed step
child port, and frankly I don’t give a crap about “freedom” of the toolset
when the toolset itself is being used to support a platform that is as
“anti-free” as Windows itself.

Anyone who wants mingw support for nanomsg has two paths forward:

a) fork the nanomsg code base and maintain a separate port, or
b) convince the mingw project to fix their compiler(s) so that they don’t
suck

I am not interested in entertaining other ideas like #ifdef mingw spaghetti
or any other such nonsense.

- Garrett