[nanomsg] Re: Trying to implement "directory" pattern

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Paul Colomiets <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:50:25 +0100

Hi Paul,

Just a quick question...

The goal is to make it easy to build a topology with *stateful* nodes.
The complex part of building it with a bunch of topologies is that every
user must be aware of how it works.

For example, let's imagine I've developed a memcached-like cache
service. Now to use it in some real projects I must use do one of the
following:

1. Expose whole configuration and connection management to user (i.e.
describe it thoughfully, implement in variuos languages, etc.)

2. Hide everything behind broker. Which increases infrastructure
complexity and actual latency (the latter may be crucial for
memcached-like service)

Note how the real memcached chose 1st approach. And everybody invents
it's own way to update memcached configuration at every node.

Having the pattern implemented, I just declare that you can access the
service by ASK socket, and it works like everything else with nanomsg
(you can use either bind or connect, use devices, etc.)

Do I understnad it correctly: Is the goal to have multiple memcached instances, each with it's own name and a management console able to send a request to any of those instances based on a name?