[nanomsg] Re: The name service for nanomsg

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 07:47:34 +0200

On 06/09/13 11:21, Paul Colomiets wrote:

Right. Also, socket options could be provided by the name service
(priorities, or whatever).

I don't follow that last point. Should name resolution really solve that
problem? Or should it just solve the problem of turning NAME into a string
like "tcp://127.0.0.1:1234"? I would be in favour of the latter.

Yes. Look at how DNS SRV works. It gives a  list of addresses with
priorities and weights.

I would go further than that. Have a look at options in nanomsg and you'll see that almost all of them should be set by admin rather than programmer. Take, for example, reconnect intervals: Programmer has no idea what intervals are appropriate in the destination environment. Only the admin has enough knowledge about the deployment environment to be able to decide on correct values.

I would say that even an option like TCP_NODELAY should be set by admin rather than by programmer. What it does, in fact, is trading some bandwidth for better latency. And once again, it admin who knows about bandwidth and latency specifics in the deployment environment so it should be his responsibility to set the option.