[nanomsg] Status of Windows IPC ?

  • From: Timothee Besset <ttimo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 21:57:07 -0500

Hello,

I am evaluating nanomsg for use in multi platform software. In particular
the IPC features were of interest to me.

I read the documentation:

http://nanomsg.org/v0.3/nn_ipc.7.html

"On Windows, named pipes are used for IPC. IPC address is an arbitrary
case-insensitive string containing any character except for backslash.
Internally, address ipc://test means that named pipe \\.\pipe\test will be
used."

And the blurb in http://nanomsg.org/documentation-zeromq.html about IOCP
and named pipes.

However now that I start to use it, I realize that the ipc unit test is
disabled on Windows, and I found this post in the mailing list:
//www.freelists.org/post/nanomsg/Interested-in-using-nanomsg,1

"However, there's a second step still missing -- implementing IPC transport
for Windows in such a way that it uses NamedPipes."

This is from six months ago - but it looks like that is still the case, no
IPC with Named Pipes on Windows?

- Shouldn't the documentation reflect what is actually implemented? It is
very misleading as things stand now. Especially if this has been the
situation for months.

- How much work does this represent, closing the loop on this and actually
getting the functionality? Using a TCP loopback is a no-go, a lot of
firewalls, antivirus/malware things will get in the way of that (we've
tried).

Best,
TTimo