[nanomsg] Re: New fork (was Re: Moving forward)

  • From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:26:14 -0700

> On Mar 20, 2015, at 8:15 AM, Bent Cardan <bent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I second everything you wrote Garrett.
>
> When we get windows building on master I think it would be a substantial
> milestone from which we could this move this project off the beta versioning
> and switch to semver. Well something to think about.

I’m keen to get to a 1.0 release.  We’re not there yet.  There are protocol
bugs to be fixed (I pushed the surveyor fix by the way), and I want to clean up
some of the assertions that make use of the library in production code a little
risky.  And yes, I want to have CI and self tests running on as many platforms
as easily achievable.

> Now if we want PR ci integration with an iOS build then the obvious solution
> is CircleCI.

Well, we’d have to have a working iOS build, etc.  I know some work is done
there, but I’m not sure of the state.  Its kind of funny how there are 18
gazillion different CI providers.

> analogous to the difference between code hosted on Google project versus code
> you can host on github.
>
> In gitter you can reply to the chat with github flavored markdown style code
> syntax highlighting.
>
> But the best part is that the chatroom is a persisted storage venue. This is
> good and bad. It's good because if you miss some cool conversation, you get
> free history. This is also bad for the same reason. If you make regrettable
> statement at some point then it will be part of the free history of the chat.

Believe me, if you make a regrettable remark on IRC, it will be archived
forever.  It won’t show up in the chat room, but it *will* be available via
google ~forever.  The moral of the story is — don’t ever say anything online
you think you might regret in the future. :-)  That’s as true for IRC or any
other chat technology as it is for mailing lists.

        - Garrett