[nanomsg] Re: Moving forward

  • From: Alexander Williams <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 09:34:47 +0900

Hi Garrett,

I've written one of the ffi bindings for nanomsg (picolisp) and had a good
chance to review and work with the C code.

From what I've seen on the list, you seem to care quite a bit about this
library. I don't see why you need anyone's permission to fork it and do as you
wish (review/merge other people's PRs, etc).

In fact, I think that's the spirit of open source. Rather than continually
requesting Martin's participation, why don't you just do it? At this point
you've more than proven your ability and interest in moving this project
forward, and i'll gladly work with (test&review) an implemention that is
maintained/supported over one that's not.

As a side note, I personally have no interest in Go, threads, pthreads, or TLS
support (unnecessary overhead in a closed network of nanomsg nodes), so I
wouldnt be using Mangos or any of those features you plan to implement in a
forked version.

This is my personal view on the whole thing. You can continue discussing about
it as you wish, but if you care so much then i'd rather you just take the lead
and send us the link when it's ready ;)

Finally, if you decide to fork and improve things on your own, keeping
backwards compatibility with Nanomsg in its current state, then you also
introduce the ability to be merged back in. That wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Thanks for your hard work!

AW