[nanomsg] Re: Introduction and questions

  • From: Ondrej Kupka <ondra.cap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:15:49 +0200

Hello everybody,

On Jun 22, 2013, at 5:49 AM, Gonzalo Diethelm wrote:

> Hello Martin et all,
>
> I have been recently reading about nanomsg with a lot of interest; it is nice
> to find my name linked somehow to the history of ZeroMQ and nanomsg, as
> little as my contribution (or my organ-playing abilities!) may have actually
> been. Thank you Martin for the good memories!
>
> Somehow nanomsg managed to fly below my radar... I have a couple of questions
> regarding the project:
>
> 1. Is it intended to support Win32 and Linux / UNIX as "first class
> citizens"? I am referring in particular to "ipc://" support under Win32.
>
> 2. Related to #1: is nanomsg based on AIO or is it based on poll / epoll /
> whatever?
>
> 3. Given the engineering roots of the project, would you say it should be
> easier to delve into the code of nanomsg, than to do the same for 0mq? I
> expect the answer would be "yes", but wanted to confirm. Is there any
> architectural documentation / diagrams that could help a newbie get on board?
>
> 4. Is anybody working on a Java binding for nanomsg? If not, I think I can
> cook something up in a short period of time, if there is interest.
>
> 5. Has there been any discussion about reimplementing nanomsg on a different
> language, rather than implementing a binding for that language? I take this
> idea from JeroMQ, which implemented the whole of ZeroMQ in Java, bypassing
> the need to create a JNI binding, depend on a native library, etc. I admit I
> used to think this was the wrong approach, but I am not so sure anymore...
> Anyway, I would be interested in exploring this alternative for Go, if nobody
> is doing this.

I am interested in both Go and nanomsg. Unfortunately I don't really have that
much time to have this kind of fun these days, like rewriting nanomsg in Go,
but I will watch it with excitement if someone does that :-) Just curious - how
did this idea came up your mind, Gonzalo? I am not saying it's crazy, just
curious about the reasons…

Cheers,
Ondra Kupka