[nanomsg] Re: Interception hooks for testing.

  • From: Sriram Srinivasan <sriram@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 18:00:07 +0530

Thanks for the response, Paul.

> No there isn't. And I don't believe it belongs here. There are
> iptables, tc (traffic control) and other tools that do that job good
> enough.
>
> BTW, what is Jepsen?

I should have said "salticid", not jepsen, but they are related.

For those who haven't seen it, Kyle Kingsbury has a lovely series of posts  on
how to test the consistency and availability claims of many data stores: riak,
cassandra, postgres and many more.
(http://aphyr.com/posts/281-call-me-maybe-carly-rae-jepsen-and-the-perils-of-network-partitions)

salticid is Kyle's little wrapper over iptables to create network partitions or
slowdowns, and to heal them.

This solution is linux specific, and I thought it would be useful to have it
part of nanomsg as a mock testing tool for arbitrarily creating delays and
dropping connections, packets etc.

--sriram.