[nanomsg] Re: Inproc latency and programming challenge!

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Nyström <david.nystrom@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:57:59 +0100

On 30/01/13 14:20, David Nyström wrote:

Inter-process and in-process are just degenerate cases. The main goal is
ranging from inside-datacenter upwards to global.
I'm sad to hear that this is you stance on inproc/intraproc, our use
cases much rely on scalability protocols within an SMP domain, even
between HW peripherals, see TI keystone, NetLogic FMN, Freescale USDPAA
Intel DPDK, et.c.

"degenerate" is used here just as "special" or "corner" case, in the same sense of using loopback interface is degenerate case of using TCP/IP.

AFAIK lot of people are using ZeroMQ for in-process communication on massively multicore boxes. nanomsg should perform in these use cases in comparable manner.

Have a look at OpenEventMachine[1] for 'one' possible implementation of
the intended use-case, and see if it matches where you are heading with
nanomsg, personally, I don't see a fundamental conflict of interests,
depending on how flexible the APIs still are.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/eventmachine/

Thanks for the link! I will check it later on.