[nanomsg] Re: Inproc latency and programming challenge!

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Nyström <david.nystrom@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:36:39 +0100

On 30/01/13 09:11, David Nyström wrote:

Have you considered supporting a lockless implementation of message
queues for inproc/ipc ? (libatomic_ops).

Yes. I've implemented that for ZeroMQ, but it's not yet implemented in nanomsg. Getting portable MIT-licensed code for atomic CAS would be the first thing to do, I guess.

Sorry for jumping in into the thread half-way, but what is the end
goal of the scalability protocol called nanomsg ?
To be a scalability protocol in userspace for SMP OS:es, or be a
scalability protocol for inter-chip communication ?

Inter-process and in-process are just degenerate cases. The main goal is ranging from inside-datacenter upwards to global.