[nama] Re: Whither YAML?

  • From: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Namites <nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 13:32:02 -1000

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 05:54:11PM -0400, S. Massy wrote:
> > The main advantage of YAML output is that it
> > is somewhat user friendly.
> In what sense, and who is the user in that context, the programmer or
> the end-user? Is there any reason not to ditch YAML entirely in favour
> of json?

A lot of users find it easy to read data structures
dumped in YAML's indented structure without parentheses.

We could equally dump as JSON, although I find
all the quoting to be a bit tedious to read through.

We still use YAML for the formats of .namarc and
(for the programmer) commands.yml

Regards,

Joel

--