[nama] Re: Timelines

  • From: Julien Claassen <julien@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 00:38:03 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Joel!
I couldn't quite follow the argument for inserting hidden silences. If you would elaborate, perhaps with a minimalist example? There are cases, where we might want to shift marks with regions. For a start, there is the offset run, which you mentioned already. There might be others, where you want to use marks for fades connected to regions (not onlythe big fade-in and fade-out, but perhaps somewhere in between. Another idea - for the longer run - might be to also adapt controllers (namely -kl -kl2 and -klg) to time shifts. So how to deal with that problem in general? Basic idea: have global and track bound marks. How do other DAWs deal with that? If they know about such concepts, how do they deal with them? What's the default. From personal experience I'd say, make track-bound marks a default for the usual commands, that we already have, since most of my marks are just bound to one track/region. That should be easy on checking. Another possibility would be to check on each mark, if it is used for track specific operations. That however might go amiss, since younever know, what people want to do. there would be things to consider for that logic though: Don't allow using a track bound mark on a foreign track, unless the user specifically says so and then on her head be it. One might have an attribute connected to a mark, so the user might have a chance to unbind the mark from a track or directly bind it to another track. Other ideas concepts? Thatone is pretty obvious, but might also lead to a few traps.
  Warmly yours
        Julien

050e010d0f12010401-0405-0d09-030f12011a0f0d-
Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

********   Find some music at   ********
http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html
"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 95 and 37 days,
so I can be sure, there's someone at your site, who loves you."
(Not Winnie the Puh)