[nama] Re: More on buffering and priority (was: Re: Latency compensation)

  • From: "S. Massy" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 20:06:35 -0400

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 01:12:20PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've changed the config variables in namarc.
> The new variables and suggested default settings are:
>
> ecasound_globals_general: -z:mixmode,sum
> ecasound_globals_realtime: -z:db,100000 -z:nointbuf
When are real-time parameters used? Only when recording or when
monitoring as well?

> ecasound_globals_nonrealtime: -z:nodb -z:intbuf
> ecasound_buffersize_realtime: 256
It might be good to have an "auto" setting here where ecasound's
buffersize is set to be equivalent to jack's period size.

> ecasound_buffersize_nonrealtime: 1024
>
> In fact, I believe we will need realtime settings
> most of the time, i.e. when the routing graph includes
> both device (soundcard or jack client) inputs and outputs.
Or IOW disable real-time sscheduling when *only* disk and loop IO
are used. And even then, the only argument to do so is to prevent single
core systems from becoming unresponsive during mixdown/caching.

Cheers,
S.M.