[nama] Re: FX Editor

  • From: Julien Claassen <julien@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:18:31 +0100 (CET)

Hello!
short aside first: Massy: Don't mention transport control at the moment. :-) It is one of the most complicated parts of the MIDI issue.
  But back to the effects editor;
As Massy pointed out, the best places for info are top and bottom. But I don't see us needing a lot of info. If we're just modifying effects we could have two lines saying:
bottom-1:
BC CALF* Phaser
bottom:
01 depth                   0.7

Two things that easily even fit the 40 character limit, at least where it's vital. 40 characters being good since the two standard widths for braille displays are 40 and 80. There are a few other ones granted, but they aren't as frequent. If we want to keep the two line info constantly there, we need curses, at least as long as we want to do it quickly and elegantly. If we can live with the bottom-1 line to wander up the screen (maybe have 'i' for info, to redisplay it), then we could live without curses. You could also temporarily leave readline and use simple getch() or equivalent. Although I think the curses key-reading function can catch a few more of those control/navigation keys. But I think that might be circumvented. I think I saw an example or two in the glibc docs. It's simple switching over the read key. that would of course rid us of the necessity to stick to readlines unhindered character set as well. I still think we could integrate track navigation in the same go, just two more keybindings to skip through them. :-)
  Off to the next mail.
  Kindly yours
         Julien

--------